Monday, July 16, 2007

[EPFL-Student-Guide] Getting Visa

This post is part of a series of posts I did as part of student guide for new students. All the related posts to this guide can be found by tracking the label student-guide or click here

Getting visa- I guess for all south Indians, the only place to get visa is Mumbai swiss consulate in Nariman Point, Mumbai. Check on the swiss embassy website for more details. Before you applying for visa, you should ensure that you received all docs from epfl- the work contract, proof of scholarship, passport (of course). A detailed list of docs can be found towards the end of this article. Perveen Mistry is the point of contact in the embassy and she responds very nicely to all the questions you have. Contact her on mail or phone. Note down the swiss embassy timings given here and check on the embassy website about the official holidays they follow. Sometimes it is closed on the official swiss holidays about which you have no idea- so always check about it on the website. I had struggled a lot with the timings, When I went to apply of the visa. I started from Pune in a volvo bus but the bus did not drop me in Dadar as told before buying the ticket. I don't remember the place exactly where we got down but it was too far from Nariman point. We took a taxi and called Mistry on the way. She told me clearly not to come for visa on that day as the place is too far and i can not make before 12pm, the closing time!! Somehow i decided to take the chance and asked the driver to leave me near the embassy as quickly as possible. Luckily that drier knows the exact building in the area and somehow he dropped me there. When I was watching Taxi 9211 movie (am I right?) later, the driver's rush on Mumbai roads reminded my experience! Even though i went late, it did not make much difference. "Which university?", they asked and I told "epfl". The lady looked relaxed giving an impression that visa is granted! I filled several forms there and paid the fee (I guess we have to submit a DD for the amount)! They give the passport back to us immediately and in case we get a visa, they inform us so that we have to send them the passport again. Then they return it with visa stamping through courier. I think we have to send a DD for the courier charges as well with the passport. Since all the documents are shipped to swiss for processing (there is no processing done in the consulate itself like US consulates), it takes several weeks to months for getting the visa (even for knowing whether we got the visa or not). I applied for the visa on November 1st and they sent me visa in 3 weeks i guess. But in one of my friend's case, it took nearly 3 months!!


Here are the links for the most useful docs
1) Official visa doc http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df7pb88q_1gnvmq4
2) Declaration form http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df7pb88q_3jdbt8f
3) Another declaration http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df7pb88q_4wnwdxb
4) Embassy in New Delhi http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/asia/vind/embnd.html
5) Consulate General Mumbai
(useful info at the end of this article)


Useful info:
Consulate General Mumbai
Address
Consulate General of Switzerland

102 Maker Chambers IV, 10th floor
222, Jamnalal Bajaj Marg
Nariman Point
Mumbai 400 021
India

Phone
  • 0091 22 22 88 45 63 / 64 / 65
  • 0091 22 22 83 17 38
Fax
  • 0091 22 22 85 65 66
E-Mail

mum.vertretung@eda.admin.ch

Website

http://www.eda.admin.ch/india_dlh/e/home/consulate.html

Office hours
Monday08.15-12.00
Tuesday08.15-12.00
Wednesday08.15-12.00
Thursday08.15-12.00
Friday08.15-12.00
Saturday---
Sunday---

Visas: Monday-Friday 08.15-11.15.

Consular district

Les neuf Etats de Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra et Tamil Nadu ainsi que Pondichéry, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Lakshadweep (UT) et Andaman & Nicobar

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there...
I'm planning to appply to this university. I'm also from India.

How difficult is it to get admission??

Jegannathan K Raman said...

Hi,
Thanks! Useful information. Definitely goin to help me.